Tuesday, August 11, 2015

5 Days at St Luke's Hospital (on the Neurology floor)

Because I had had breathing problems while in the ER, I was admitted to the hospital. I was there for five days,most of which were filled with tests and procedures. I tried to think back and between the nurses,the techs and the doctors, I must have had 50 people in and out of my room. There was a nurse and a tech for every shift. That's six or more people. I saw Dr. Ahmed and Dr. Sommer(my regular doctors), Dr. Zaheer Ahe'd (a neurologist-since I was on the Neurology floor),Dr. Ruth Decker(thyroid surgeon) and Dr. Brian Wegman,orthopedic surgeon. I also had visits from respiratory who helped with my CPAP machine, the Chaplain with whom I had some interesting conversations. I was also visited by a social worker who arranged for me to spend some time at a rehab facility before going home.
Included in my hospital stay was MRI's of my left leg, back and head. These revealed a tibia plateau fracture in the leg, degeneration of the disks in the lumbar spine and an unspecified head injury. The ultrasound of my thyroid presented a small nodule. A chest xray taken in the ER found something suspicious looking which led to the ultrasound.
Wednesday afternoon I had a thyroid biopsy with ultrasound.  The nurse and doctor made it really clear that I was a big inconvenience to them. Usually they only do 3 of,these biopsies per day and they were doing my doctor a favor to work me in as the fourth. That might be true,but they didn't need to tell me that!!
Before I left the hospital I also had a session with their PT. I started to learn how to hop around on one foot,since my left leg will be non-weight bearing for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment