Saturday, July 28, 2012

Caught in the Middle

What ever happened to Good Customer Service ?

As a consumer and a patient, I am getting really tired of dealing with service people who don't put care into their service. I have experienced this several times over the past several weeks. 

The first incident I will tell you about occurred as we were getting bids to repair hail damage from a late spring storm. Wanting to get three bids to compare prices, we contacted several companies. One of them promised a bid by the end of the week but never delivered and never did come through with a bid for us. I guess they didn't really need our business. The salesman at the company we decided to use promised us new soffit and fascia as part of a replacement gutter package. When the crew came out to do the work, they knew nothing about this. When we looked back at the contract, there was no mention of replacing soffit and fascia. Lesson learned-if a salesman promises you something, make sure he includes it in your contract !


The next incident has to do with home delivery. One of the medicines I take for my arthritis comes from a specialty pharmacy. The medicine has to be refrigerated, so it is usually shipped in a sealed Styrofoam container filled with ice packs. Up until my most recent shipment, I have had no problems with this. When I received my July shipment of medicine, my husband went to bring the container into the house only to discover that the bottom had been broken out of the Styrofoam container. My first thought was, I'm surprised they delivered the container in this condition. I thought it would be a good idea to call the specialty pharmacy just to let them know that the Styrofoam container had been damaged. In doing so, I was told that the delivery person was not supposed to leave the shipment when this happens, but was to return it right away for a replacement. I assured them that the contents were unharmed, but I thought they should know about the damage. Who wasn't doing their job?

Hopefully now I was done with incidents. Not so. Last Tuesday I had a visit from a respiratory therapist who was supposed to bring me a new mask for my CPAP machine. First of all, although he did call to alert me, he was 10 minutes late in arriving. I had left work early that day to make sure that I would be home at the time he said he would be at my house. Next, he didn't bring the correct mask with him. He promised he would have the correct mask mailed to me and I should receive it within two days. It is now four days later, and I have yet to receive my new mask.


We don't eat dinner out at a sit-down restaurant too often. Last Thursday, my husband and I agreed to attend a dinner at Pasta House to participate in a presentation by RCI our timeshare company. The company was paying for our dinner. Mid-way through the presentation we were each given a sheet of paper with several menu items on it. We were to circle our choice. I know I had circled Past con Broccoli as that was what I decided to eat that night. When the waiter came with our dinners, he brought me a plate of fish with a side of pasta. This was not what I had ordered. I told him that I didn't order fish. He apologized took the fish back to the kitchen and eventually brought out the right order. To apologize, he brought me a double order, but this time my husband had finished eating, it was late and the pasta was too hot to eat. Wouldn't it be better if he had brought me the right dish to begin with. We don't visit Pasta House very often and definitely won't be going back there for awhile.


All of these incidents have left me with great mental pain and tired of being the customer or the patient caught in the middle of someone who doesn't care enough to do their job correctly or to realize when they haven't. I will continue to report these incidents to the companies and hope that this kind of thing happens less often in the future.


Do you have stories like these ? Please share them with me in the comments box or suggestions to keep this from happening so many times.


Until next time, Live, Think and Be pain-free,

**Joy**


No comments:

Post a Comment